Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Cocker Spaniel

Besides trying to get as much freelance as possible and developing my portfolio, I work part-time as an instructor.  I tutor privately and I work at a step-by-step painting studio.  One of my favorite classes that I teach at the studio is a pet painting class.  This is the one time I get to discuss concepts, color theory, and painting technique (our other classes are very linear.)  Every class I get to paint a different breed of dog.  The challenge I have is my time limit:  I can only paint my dog in about 30-40 minutes cumulative, the rest of the time I must walk around and help students.  The time limit forces me to think quickly and use a lot of broken brushwork.  I've been inspired recently to make better grays in my paintings.  I'm also always evolving my black mixture; my current is phthalo green, alizarin, and raw umber. 

Even though these studies are quick, I feel like they have helped me see what's worth including and what needs to be omitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment