Monday, November 18, 2013

Sketches

 While waiting at the Oakland DMV, I decided to sketch a few people who were waiting.  Like me, we were all pretty agitated over the incredible wait time (2+ hours.)  I don't think my sketch captures quite how unhappy these gentlemen were.  Sketching people in public always presents a fun challenge; how fast can you visualize a likeness before you have to turn away quickly?


 "Nubs" are a style of character I started back when I was in school (~2006).  They are my favorite form of doodling:  I can test out different expressions/emotions and styles.  I never put any pressure on myself regarding how they turn out.  I usually can sketch 10-20 and end up with 1-2 I genuinely like.

I went down to a basketball court to sketch a couple of pick-up games.  This setting is a great challenge in speed and paring down the figure.  I use a marker and water, spending an average of 30-45 seconds on each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment